Whether playing an after school sport or taking on your next athletic adventure, you can benefit from the protection mouthguards provide. Many patients even find mouthguards or splints can protect their teeth from additional wear from grinding or clenching their teeth. Wearing a mouthguard or splint is not only beneficial for protecting your teeth from harm but also to enhance your oral health.
Benefits of Mouthguards
Wearing a mouthguard can provide a variety of opportunities to care for your smile, including:
- Protecting your teeth and gums from damage.
- Prevent further wear or breakage from clenching or grinding your teeth.
- Provide relief from TMJ disorder symptons.
- Custom-fit to provide protection specifically designed for each patient.
Types of Mouthguards
- Athletic Guards: An athletic guard helps prevent broken teeth, appliances, and lip lacerations. Choose from a variety of team or custom sport design options to protect your smile during the next game or practice.
- Guards for Bruxism/Grinding: Chronic clenching and grinding can cause your teeth and other dental restorations to wear down or break. A custom guard can protect your smile from premature wear.
- TMJ Bite Splints: Do you suffer from TMJ disorder, chronic headaches, or wake up with pain through your face, head, and neck? An NTI appliance is a small, custom-fit splint that moves your TMJ into a resting position, preventing excessive muscle tension. We can combine your bite splint with orthodontic therapy to correct your misaligned bite – which may be the root of your TMJ disorder.
Learn more about how our orthodontists in Vista, CA can help you determine which mouthguard or splint is right for you and get started protecting your mouth today!